Nitazoxanide 500 Mg Tablet
Nitazoxanide 500 mg tablet is an antiprotozoal medication used to treat diarrhea caused by certain parasite infections of the intestines, specifically Cryptosporidium parvum and Giardia lamblia.
- It is used to treat diarrhea in adults and children older than 1 year of age caused by the protozoa Cryptosporidium or Giardia.
- Nitazoxanide is indicated for the treatment of diarrhea caused by Giardia lamblia or Cryptosporidium parvum in patients 12 years and older.
The benefits of Nitazoxanide 500 mg tablet include the effective treatment of diarrhea caused by specific parasite infections of the intestines, helping to alleviate symptoms and improve overall health.
Some common side effects of Nitazoxanide 500 mg tablet include:
- Abdominal pain
How to Use:
Nitazoxanide 500 mg tablet should be taken as directed by a healthcare provider. The typical dosage is 500 mg every 12 hours, taken with food, for 3 days. If the liquid form is used, it should be shaken well before each dose, and the dose should be carefully measured using a special measuring device/spoon.
How Nitazoxanide 500 Mg Tablet Works:
Nitazoxanide works by stopping the growth of certain protozoa that cause diarrhea.
- Alcohol: It is advisable to avoid alcohol while taking Nitazoxanide 500 mg tablet.
- Pregnancy: The use of Nitazoxanide during pregnancy should be carefully considered and used only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.
- Breastfeeding: It is important to consult a healthcare provider before using Nitazoxanide during breastfeeding.
- Driving: Nitazoxanide is not expected to affect the ability to drive, but individual responses may vary.
- Kidney/Liver: Patients with kidney or liver disease should use Nitazoxanide with caution.
Interactions with Other Medicines: It’s important to discuss all the medications being taken with a healthcare provider to avoid potential interactions.
Storage and Disposal:
Nitazoxanide tablets should be stored at 25°C (77°F), with excursions permitted to 15°C-30°C (59°F-86°F).
The typical dosage for adults and children 12 years of age and older is 500 mg every 12 hours, taken with food, for 3 days.
In case of an overdose, medical attention should be sought immediately.
Missed a Dose:
If a dose is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, the missed dose should be skipped and the regular dosing schedule resumed.
- Take Nitazoxanide 500 mg tablet with food as directed by a healthcare provider.
- Shake the liquid form well before each use.
- Avoid alcohol while taking this medication.
- Store the tablets at the recommended temperature.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is not exhaustive and should not replace professional medical advice. It is important to consult a healthcare provider for personalized guidance.